Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Paper Plane in a Pine Tree


We have been very lucky this holiday season. between generous family donations, my thrift shopping, and a little creativity, we have been able to deck the halls and make this apartment our home.
Chris and I drove five minutes (yes you read me right only FIVE minutes) down the road to a tree farm to saw down our tree. We figured our first christmas needed a fresh tree. Plus it is the perfect time because there are no pets or small beings to mess with it ... the only downside was the family of jumping spiders I discovered while decorating ...

When it comes to ornaments on your tree, it is well known that your first year can be a bit skimpy. When my brother got married my sister and I were still young, so his beautiful wife invited us over to make ornaments with popsicle sticks, glue, and lots of love. I believe some of our masterpieces still hang on their tree today.

For our first tree, I had picked up some shining glass balls at the base thrift shop and we were pleasantly surprised with the Christmas cheer passed onto us in ornament form by our families over Thanksgiving break. I look forward to the day when we get to pull out the ornaments and tell each of their stories. Right now I will share one of them with you. Two of our favorite handmade ornaments make our hearts soar with pleasant memories each time we look at them.
These paper airplane F-16s were lovingly thrown at us as we left our wedding reception rather than rice or birdseed. Somehow I stumbled across a how-to paper airplane F-16 video in the wedding planning process and proceeded to cut, fold, tape, and stamp until I had a few hundred prepared. I am so happy that we have found further use for them! (and thanks to those who helped me fold!)



Thanks also to my ADORABLE nephew who picked up each airplane after it was thrown, we still have dozens of them ... any ideas for other uses?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a great idea..
first of all, i wish i could have been there to THROW the planes at you..
but second of all, i love that you used them as ornaments...XOXO