Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Just Make It Up

I
M
P
R
O
V I S A T I O N

This afternoon I will be teaching a class that is part of a six week program without an end goal. I'm going to talk with the head of the program so I can have a better idea of what they want their students to get out of the experience. For today I am just going to make it up. This may seem a little irresponsible, but I guarantee it is not (I still have a lesson plan and training to back me up). We are going to enjoy our hour by learning about and exploring improvisation. We all have to improvise in life. None of our personal daily conversations are scripted ... unless maybe you are on reality TV =). Recently I have observed a few grown people who seem afraid to commit to who they are and make themselves vulnerable. I consider it a shame to be fearful of yourself. I'm hoping that our work with improv will help these kids realize it's healthy to put yourself on the line and see what you come up with. You often are surprised at how strong you actually are. If I could grant people a personality trait, I would def consider granting them self confidence. Imagine what we could do if we were never afraid of ourselves! performing improv in front of a group can be terrifying, but it is terrifying in a good way. I haven't always been confident myself, but I guarantee you I am much happier when I am. I think Julie Andrews via The Sound of Music is a prime example that confidence and a positive attitude can take you far.

Are you a super planner or do you make things up as you go?
How do you boost your confidence in order to accomplish things you are afraid of or timid about?

happy new year


No comments: