Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jackpot!

I took a trip to the local Library yesterday to officially become a member of this community. I was blown away. We have been buying furniture and paying bills ever since we got married, so saying goodbye to cash has become all too familiar. We are staying on budget which is a challenge because I LOVE shopping. I love the hunt of shopping and the deals I can find (we have a Tuesday morning, TJMAXX, and goodwill within 5 min ... heaven). I love shopping because it really is a challenge these days to find items that express who you are. I think people's style says a lot about them ... clearly I watch a lot of What Not to Wear. To go a little deeper if I may, I think this belief also stems from my theatre experience. It is astounding how much the style of a set or costume can tell you about a character. All the worlds a stage people - what does your style say about you?

I digress. Lets go back to the library. The best thing about 'shopping' at the library is, The library is FREE! I went in and came out with stuff without spending any money. Awesome. Not only did I not spend money, I am also reducing my clutter because I am going to bring it all back! Going to the library should be a step in a shopaholics recovery process because you still get the rush of a good find without spending a dime.

I registered for my card but am only allowed to check out two items at a time until I get my real card in the mail (I didn't have any proof of my address =/ ). The librarian offered to explain how things were laid out, but I stopped her short explaining that I really wanted to browse and figure it out myself - the perfect hunting ground for discoveries. I wandered around for a bit reading titles until my neck turned stiff from being tilted sideways, read a few magazines, and made my final selections. Here is what I ended up with:

Thrift Score by: Al Hoff Substitute Teaching A to Z by: Barbara Pressman

I have started Thrift Score and it is hilarious especially if you like to thrift. I am also thinking about signing up as a substitute here to support my teaching practice and shopping habits =) . I have only ever substituted once in elementary drama rooms and still have much to learn.

Need a new adventure? Go to the library and wander around!

No comments: