Friday, April 30, 2010

The Mess Above the Fire

The other morning when I clicked onto one of my favorite reads { Pinecone Camp } I had to laugh at myself because I immediately looked up and saw this:
The post was all about collecting. Now, I know everything on the mantel doesn't go together as a cohesive collection per say ... but I am sure I can create a convincing argument that it is a collection of stuff (or "duff" as my adorable niece would say). All of this business ended up on our mantel because I am not sure where to put it next. I set it there to get it out of the way. The longer it sits there, the more I think I like it. I know that simple mantels are supposed to stand out in a room, but there is something about the clear chaos that keeps me staring. What do you think? Jumbled mess? Should it stay or go?

I have also got quite a few wine bottles I am about to take to recycling ... something tells me I should peel off the labels and keep them around somehow. Any ideas on what to do with them? I would love to decorate with them, but then again I don't want people to walk in and think gee ... that's a lot of bottles ... awkward. (CONFESSION: that is usually what I think when people openly display their alcohol, I can't help it. It's an automatic reaction.)

1 comment:

Sexless in the City said...

I love your mantel display- I think it looks clean and classy, but not so perfect as to look fussy. As for your wine bottles, the first thing I thought was to use them as candlesticks or vases, but I'm sure someone far more crafty than me can come up with better uses...