Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Treasure Find Tuesday

This Tuesday we are going bedside. It has been a long day and I am awfully tired.
Welcome to my side!
I don't want to ramble about this swan ... but I can't help it! Bear with me or skip ahead. I probably wont find out if you do. I came across this swan in Columbus Ohio after dropping this lovely lady off at the airport. I was a great ride and an excellent excuse to go to Anthropologie (there is one in Cincinnati and Columbus, but not Dayton). I had never been to this particular shopping center before. It was dark, raining, and I was kinda lost. While looking for Anthro, I stumbled upon the seasonal store Glad Tidings. It was BEAUTIFUL. The girl behind the counter explained to me that the woman who started the store includes seasonal items she purchases in bulk and thrifted items she picks up throughout the rest of the year. The woman has great taste and all of the items I saw were reasonably priced. I was so impressed that her stock included items she thrifted. Can you say rachel's dream job!? This swan was one of the thrifted items and thus the only swan like it in the store. What a neat idea! The shop was quite a treasure find, but I do love my swan. It is perfect for storing bobby pins, gum, hair ties, lip gloss, and the rest of my small bedside clutter.

This is a photo of William R. Monks and William J. Monks aka Billy aka my dad aka greatest man alive. My father and grandfather were, are, and always will be my most beloved role models. They are the real deal.
These plates are always a joy to look at. The larger plates served as centerpieces at our wedding reception. I ended up creating cake stands out of them using velcro and candlesticks via recommendations from others. The smaller plates were part of our amazing wedding cupcake display. Oh and all of them were of course, thrifted.
Some of the stands ready to go.
potential cupcake set up
Cupcakes at the wedding
(Could only find poorly cropped photo on short notice =/)

Thanks for sticking with me ...or skipping to the end... either way have a lovely evening!

Oh and btw this Thursday the base thrift shop is hosting the officers spouses club luncheon and we are doing a fashion show. I know. Be excited about next Tuesday!

3 comments:

Anna said...

so cute! I LOVE the plates. I've been making cakestands too!!!! Just for fun for me, and as gifts, but I'm thinking about selling them on esty.

TexasRoyalsFan said...

ohh i remember taggin along for the purchase of some of those plates in somewhere, Texas.

good times.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

I love that swan!!! And the story of finding it :-) Thanks again for the ride to the airport, my dear! And speaking of airports and flying and such... I need to see you next week! Let's plan :-)

(Also, your cupcake table looked FANTASTIC.)