Friday, February 5, 2010

On the Menu


This Sunday was Chris' birthday. I thought hard about what to get him. He isn't very materialistic and I refused to get him another video game that I can't play too. I know it sounds selfish, but I prefer games that bring us together rather than the ones that he gets sucked into and becomes dead to the world. If you or a loved one plays video games you know what I am talking about.

If you keep up, you know I am not the best cook. I still need lots of practice and am often discouraged (which I assume is less than pleasing for the hungry bear I married). As his Birthday gift I made him a menu with dishes planned for all weekend! I took on quite a lot since every meal was a new recipe, but we managed to avoid a meltdown with the help of this months Food Network Magazine and this beauty:


This copy of the Joy of Cooking was my great aunt Laura's and is not exactly an easy read. After a day of sifting through the text and sifting through cake flour I somehow managed to pull this off from scratch with no pictures!


We also enjoyed sipping these sweet lables with our weekend meals.

Happy Birthday

2 comments:

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

That cake looks amazing!!! Seriously, so tempting. I bet Chris LOVED his gift! Matt would probably die of shock if I attempted such a thing haha. I'm thinking maybe it's time to redbox Julie & Julia to kickstart some cooking motivation. Hm.

Erin Phraner said...

AHHH!!! You cake come out BEAUTIFULLY!!!! :) So glad that Food Network Mag could be of help love :) I miss you! Happy Birthday Chris